Thursday 21 March 2013

A closer look at new beginnings

Theses are just a few images taken back in Nov/Dec by my fellow Sainsbury's colleague and 3rd year photography student Luke Forshaw.

http://www.lukeforshaw.co.uk/home

This is 3rd type work I've produced over the past 3 years. I graduated using reduction fired stoneware with a black Tenmoku glaze. Then during two trips to Guldagergaard (http://www.ceramic.dk/) in Denmark where I wood firing in a train kiln using various glazes including shino and ash.

So now Im working in a red earthenware with a tin matt glaze, fired in a electric kiln at my studio in Bankley House. (www.bankley.org.uk/)

So why such a change? I don't think I can high fire without using gas or wood as a fuel and currently these options aren't available to me, its just how I feel. I've always been a fan of red clay so it seemed the obvious choice and I've worked with this tin glaze before and enjoyed the results. Another reason for low firing is its less stress on the kiln so i can get more life from it and thus reducing the need to spend hard earn cash on repairs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment